Friday, January 1, 2010

Old Delhi

My parents coming to visit has been a great excuse to do all the things I've been wanting to do, like seeing the Taj Mahal or, closer to home, visiting old Delhi. I arranged for us to take a day tour, thinking it would be easier to have a car, driver and guide all in one instead of taking my favorite beat-up black and yellow taxis. And it was. We had a full itinerary including Humayan's tomb, India Gate, the President's house, old Delhi with the mosque and Red fort, and Qutub Minar. It was such a full day, with traffic jams included, that the boys and I didn't make it to the last stop--we had to go home after a late lunch. But, I think they handled it pretty well and it was a good warm up to our big touring days in Jaipur and Agra. Below are some of my favorite photos from our day tour:
School girls walking to Humayun's tomb.

School girls taking photos of me and the boys.

Approaching old Delhi, the streets get narrower and more crowded but the most impressive thing is seeing all the electrical wires. Impressive and scary...

At the mosque, good thing Pop Pop was there to carry a tired Dorian.

Now we head for the heart of old Delhi, in a bicycle rickshaw--all of us crammed on.



As we approach a busy intersection, we see the Red Fort in front of us...

And, loads of traffic waiting for us to get out of their way!

Whew! We made it...don't think I'll do a bicycle rickshaw again. But, it was definitely worth a try and we had a great day seeing and doing new things.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like great fun!! Haven't done the bicycle rickshaw yet ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, have to admit all those wires and the bicycle rickshaw look scary to me ...

    ReplyDelete