Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Surajkund Crafts Mela

I had heard a lot about Surajkund in the first two years we were here. It was the mela of all melas...a huge gathering of handicrafts from all over India--the best of the best. I finally got there this year. The handicrafts were the usual items you see at these types of fairs, but the sheer size was amazing. It was set on an expansive, hilly area about 45 minutes (depending on traffic) southwest of central Delhi. My friend, Sally, and I went on a Sunday afternoon--probably the most crowded time to go. We worked our way through the crowds and maze of stalls to see beautiful fabrics, iron work, wood work, clothing and jewelry. My favorite spot was the international area with stands from Nepal, Thailand, Afganistan and Pakistan--beautiful carpets and scarves. Here are some photos from our afternoon:

Silk patchwork bed covering:
 Loads of fabric:
 Finding just the right one:
 Bells:
 Decorations like these hung from trees all over the grounds and looked so beautiful:
 Yes, there were rides...and, no, I would never, ever go on them:
 Wooden statues:
 Always a longer line for the ladies:

No comments:

Post a Comment