Thursday, May 20, 2010

Finders , but not keepers

When I found out we were moving here I bought some children's stories about India for Dorian. Some are about festivals, some are about animals and some are about traveling and experiencing India. They are all interesting and I was surprised the other day when I saw one of the stories come to life. It's s story about a man that travels to India and at one point loses his wallet. A young boy finds it and runs after the man to give it back to him. The traveling man wants to give the boy a reward for his honesty but the boy refuses. The moral is: why should the boy get a reward for doing what was right? He was listening to his conscience.
Well, the other day I was waiting in line for an ATM inside a bank. It was pretty crowded. A man two people ahead of me bent down and picked up a 100 rupee note. He left his spot in line to bring the money to a woman working at the counter. Wow, I thought. How many people have found money lying around in public places or on the street and kept it? I mean, in the States we say "find a penny pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck." We associate finding money, i.e. some one else's loss, as our luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment