Monday, January 9, 2012

While out shopping...

Last Monday happened to be my mom's last Monday in Delhi, so we decided spend an hour (or so) at Dilli Haat, one of my favorite shopping spots as seen here: Retail Therapy. It was the perfect time to go because it was as if all of the handicraft vendors I've ever seen and liked were there, my own personalized Dilli Haat. The event was called the Dasktari Haat Samiti and was very similar to the Dasktar Mela that I've gone to for the past two years, as seen here: Dasktar, with loads of beautifully crafted scarves, linens, housewares, clothing, decorations, jewelry and clothes intermingled with artisans showing how to make their beautiful crafts. The added bonus was an area dedicated to handicrafts from Africa. As my mom and I walked through their stalls, I stopped quickly and had to take a step back and catch my breath when I came across the South African stand. There in front of me were embroidered wall hangings and pillow covers I had seen when we were in Cape Town on vacation in 2007. This is the one we bought back then:
The photo's a bit dark but the embroidery is absolutely amazing. Seeing the similar hangings at Dilli Haat immediately transported me back four years...

Amazing spots:

And views of the cliffs and ocean:

Friendly people (yes, that's Dorian as a wee lad):

 Beautiful parks:

Gorgeous jewelry at the Gold of Africa museum:

A fun city to walk around in:

 And, Dorian's favorite:

Vineyard tours:

We didn't spend nearly enough time there and just saw a glimpse of the country but we have such good memories. Now, fast forward back to last Monday at Dilli Haat, I bought these two to go with our wall hanging:



I also had a nice chat with the woman selling them. When I got home I decided to look up more about the organization on their website: Kaross. Check it out, it's really cool and what they make is amazingly beautiful.

And, if you're in Delhi, Dasktari Haat Samiti is on at Dilli Haat until January 15th.

2 comments:

  1. Oh that trip back on memory lane was awesome ... so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm shakin' the dust of this crummy little town off my feet and I'm gonna see the world.
    Flights to Gaborone
    Cheap Flights to Gaborone

    ReplyDelete