Thursday, September 9, 2010

Dengue...

It has been a much rainier end of August/beginning of September than last year. Seriously, lots of rain. That mixed with the enormous construction projects throughout Delhi for the Commonwealth Games--stadiums, parking garages, new metro lines, street beautification, road work--meaning large holes in the ground that fill with water, create the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes. And so recently dengue is quite rampant in all parts of Delhi. It's bad and I'm paranoid and nervous. Then, today I read that the people who drive the trucks around and spray against mosquitoes were on strike. Great. Oddly, though, as we were coming home from school I saw huge wafts of smoke near the entrance of our neighborhood and I thought it was a big fire. Nope, the mosquito spraying truck had arrived! I had never been so happy to see mass amounts of chemicals being spewed into the air. We hurried home, quickly shut the door and stood by watching...





But, of course, it's raining again. Does that mean the chemicals will wash away?

2 comments:

  1. OMG! That's a lot of chemicals!!! Luckily you don't have lettuce in your garden annymore! :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of the old films of kids running behind the DDT trucks. I assume that's not what they're using.

    ReplyDelete