Thursday, October 8, 2009

Changes

Since moving to New Delhi, some things have drastically changed in our lives. We don't drive anymore. We have a housekeeper/cook who comes almost every day. I only cook one night a week for me and Xavier (but, I do still make every meal for Dorian and Arthur). Doors are almost always opened by someone else. I feel less guilty about using taxis without car seats (okay, only sometimes but I just keep telling myself that because there's an incredible amount of traffic we go so slowly that it will be alright). Someone else often does the shopping for me. There are so many bookstores I feel like I have an unlimited supply of books in English at my fingertips. Dorian's at school every day of the week.

But there are some things that haven't changed. Play dates for Dorian. He still loves the Wiggles and penguins and trains. Xavier still works a lot. I'm still tired at the end of the day (but very thankful not to have to make dinner!). Arthur still naps, laughs and smiles a lot. Baby play groups.

Some changes are by choice, some are not. But we try to be flexible. We try to learn. And, sometimes we grow. Arthur has started saying "mama" and shaking his head no. I like to think that the two are unrelated.


2 comments:

  1. Such a nice post. It is nice to know that some things have not changed amidst all the change. Does Dorian like school? Are you making friends? AND what are you reading these days? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julie! Dorian does like school. I am making friends--yay! AND, I just finished The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt (who I happened to see on a panel discussion in TX this summer and whose writing I love). I just started Summertime by J.M. Coetzee. What have you read recently, what do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete